MEETING MINUTES OF THE
PLUM CREEK MUNICIPAL AUTHORITY
May 2016

A regular meeting of the Board of the Plum Creek Municipal Authority was held on May 17, 2016 at the Plum Creek Municipal Authority Business Office Building, South Manheim Township, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania.

Board members present at the meeting were Jim Ridderhoff, Tom Nagle, Dennis Scharadin, Matt Gruber, and Jerry Weiss. Also in attendance were Dave Bright (PCMA Engineer), Joe Zerbe (PCMA Attorney), Joe Clemas (PCMA Plant Worker), and Jeff Crawford from Select Environmental.

Jim Ridderhoff called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.

The minutes of the prior meeting held in April, 2016 were reviewed and accepted by motion of Jerry Weiss, seconded by Matt Gruber, and carried by all.

The Treasurer's report for April, 2016 was reviewed and accepted by motion of Matt Gruber, seconded by Dennis Scharadin, carried by all.

An official Manager’s report was not available, and Joe Clemas filled the Board in on what’s been happening in the field. He said there were a lot of dirty water reports, more than usual and the occurrences have been increasing. Joe said the only thing he knows to do is flush in the areas that have dirty water. He said the storage tank dropped a little and is 3/4 full, so he turned Well 6 on to help bring the level up again. Also, the LWPOA was filling the community pool but they’ve been filling it slower than usual so it doesn’t contribute to the drop in the storage tank. Dave Bonkovich was in the development performing leak detection and he found one leak on a customer line, but more leaks are expected to be found, and there are two hydrants that need to be repaired. He said the flow chart meter needs to be repaired at the plant because it wasn’t done when the inlet valve was put in. Joe said the person from Flow Data Industries, who installed the inlet valve, will get a price on different kinds of flow meters.

In engineering matters, Dave Bright asked if we had any response from DEP about the new Total Coliform Rule he submitted, and Jen said she had not had any kind of response. He said he also submitted the application to the Delaware River Basin Commission for renewal of the groundwater withdrawal. Dave had some correspondence with the company that supplies the product that sequesters the iron and manganese in the water, and he obtained the recommended dosages for using it. Dave said he gave the information to Mike Kreiser. Jim asked what the difference was between the two products and Tom said the Klenphos 300 has a rust inhibitor in it, and the 100 doesn’t. Mike Kreiser, prior to the meeting, suggested acquiring a phosphate meter to measure the Klenphos levels in the water at each well site, and Dave agreed that it was necessary to have measurements to make sure the concentration going into the water supply was correct.

Jen said Mike Kreiser asked her to mention to the Board a few suggestions he had. Mike suggested calling in Kohl Bros. to evaluate each of the wells to see if they required cleaning or remediation to increase production. He also said it would be a good idea to put level transducers in the water storage tanks to keep track of the water levels. Dave Bright said he’s not exactly sure what Mike had in mind with calling Kohl Bros. Dave said he met with Mike Stewart some years ago to look at the wells and make some recommendations, and he said he could do the same type of thing again. However, Dave said he’s not aware that production has dropped to serious levels. The Board agreed that Dave should do some checking into the well production issues, and Dave said he’ll talk to Mike Kreiser and go from there. As far as level transducers go, Dave said he’s not sure about how the tank levels are checked right now, but he’ll ask Mike Kreiser about that also.

In legal matters, Joe Zerbe said he prepared a draft of a resolution that addressed collection efforts and the filing of liens. He said there’s another collection effort that can be used for collecting delinquent accounts other than terminating water service and filing liens, and that is executing on the lien itself, similar to a mortgage foreclosure. In order to foreclose on a lien to recover delinquent water and sewage charges, along with the time and money spent on the foreclosure, a fee schedule addressing delinquent accounts would have to be adopted through a resolution. He said the procedure for filing liens will change a bit, and that will also be addressed in the resolution. Along with the lien resolution, Joe said he will incorporate the PCMA’s procedure for collection of delinquent accounts. Joe said he would try to have the resolution paperwork ready for the next Board meeting so it can be adopted. He said he would prepare a final copy and get it to the Board for review.

The recommendations for repairing the oil tanks at the sewage treatment plant and the truck garage were discussed. One of the suggestions Hlavaty made was to think about switching the sewage treatment plant to propane for heat, as it will be a lot less expensive. The representative from Hlavaty said the current furnace can be adapted for gas. Jim said he uses propane to heat his home, and it’s very cost effective. The Board instructed Jen to contact Hlavaty to get prices to convert both the sewage treatment plant and the truck garage to LP gas, and the Board will discuss it at the next meeting and vote on a solution.

The overhanging trees at the booster station and water storage tanks were discussed, and Dennis asked if a professional should be engaged to remove dead trees and branches because the problem was such that PCMA maintenance could not do it safely. Dave Bright said the one tree was half dead and probably should be removed completely. Dave said it wasn’t an emergency, and it didn’t have to be done immediately, but it should be watched. Tom said he got an aerial view and map of the property and the trees are on PCMA property. Tom suggested obtaining prices for the tree and branch removal.

There being no further business, Jerry Weiss motioned for adjournment, Matt Gruber seconded the motion, carried by all. The meeting was adjourned by Jim Ridderhoff at 7:00 pm.

Meeting minutes were taken, prepared, and submitted by Jennifer Hoy.

Water Rates  |  Sewage Rates  |  Sewage Management Plan  |  Water Quality Reports  |  Water Conservation Policy
Email  |  Home  |  Water Rules and Regulations  |  Announcements  |  Links and Related Info.
PCMA Meeting Dates  |  Meeting Minutes  |  History of the PCMA

© 2016 Plum Creek Municipal Authority